Relationships rule because:
People are attracted to people who have a genuine interest in their world. They realize that they’re not simply trying to peddle some product -they’re truly interested.
Networking is not the way because:
People get tired of the same cast of characters that soak up all the time talking incessantly about every conceivable reason you need to buy their product or service.
How many events and mixers have you been to where your primary goal is to see as many people as you can (while also collecting their business cards) and tell them exactly what you do and how you can help them? The number may be endless for some. Because after all isn’t that the goal of networking in the first place? Self-indulgence and over-promotion never made anyone terribly popular. You’ve seen those people at an event, in fact you may even be one of them.
7 Rules to Building the Best Relationships
1) Dress sharp and you’ll stand out
2) Be real, people will see insincerity
3) Spend quality time with people in the room
4) Ask questions about their world
5) Have a well designed card to give them
6) Invite them to something that might engage them further
7) Move gracefully around the room seeking out the brightest people
It’s about the quality of the relationship, not the quantity of people you engage. Give more than you get, and you’ll always come out on top!